Recognizing Suspicious Activity
Awareness and attention to details can help prevent crimes or solve those that have already occurred. Every day, citizens help prevent crimes by reporting suspicious activity happening in their neighborhoods. Quick response to those reports aid in the investigation, processing and arrest of individuals involved in illegal activities.
Apply the S.C.A.N. method when you see someone or something suspicious:
S – Suspicious or unusual behavior.
C – Confirm – the accuracy of your observations. Write down details for police officers.
A – if approached or should you approach an individual, be polite and non-confrontational.
N –Notify your appropriate law enforcement agency.
Crime Prevention Links of Interest
Report Suspicious Activity to:
Lebanon Police Department: 615-444-2323
TN Bureau of Investigation: 877-250-2333
Homeland Security Office: 615-532-7825
FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force: 615-292-5159
Simple Tips to Remember
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep the doors and windows to your home locked.
- Lock the doors to your car and remember to roll up the windows, even if you will only be away for a few minutes. Criminals often look for easy targets.
- If you are going to be out of town for a few days, the Lebanon Police Department will be happy to put an extra patrol alert in place. This will notify patrol officers in your area to keep an extra eye on your home while you are away.
- If you go out of town, remember to have someone pick up your mail.
- Your home should be well lit and free from obstructions.
- If you find yourself the victim of a crime, remember to stay calm, take mental notes, notify police and remember critical evidence may still be present.
For Further information, contact the Public Information Office at 615-453-4398.