Leaders for Both Sides Lebanon provided leaders for both sides during the
war between the states. Alexander P. Stewart, a West Point graduate and
professor at Cumberland University, whose home appears left, became the
highest ranking Confederate General from Tennessee. Robert Hatton, a
local politician and lawyer, was the first commander of the 7th
Tennessee, the Confederate Regiment with the largest number of Wilson
County soldiers. Former Governor and Mexican War hero, William B.
Campbell, remained a Union supporter with the rank of general.
Federal Calvary vs Confederate Calvary On May 5, 1862 the Public Square, the west side
seen in this 1859 photograph, became a battleground when the Federal
Calvary surprised the Confederate Cavalry of John Hunt Morgan at dawn.
Morgan and most of his men escaped to the east while some barricaded
themselves in the Odd Fellows Hall, the high roofed building in the
distance, and continued to fight.
Railroads In the 1870s the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis railroad operated a line from Nashville to Lebanon. The Depot and Cargo Facilities, south of the Square, appear beyond the cedar log yard.
Caruthers Hall Robert L. Caruthers built Caruthers Hall in 1878 as
the home of the Cumberland University Law School in memory of his
brother, Abram, its first professor of Law. Known as the "Law Barn," it
produced prominent jurists into the mid-twentieth century.
Wilson County Court House In 1882 a new Wilson County Court House was built on the site of the Strickland building after it burned. This view of the Square toward the west in 1896 shows the electric street light in the middle of the Square, which was first lighted in 1890.
West Main Street Tree lined West Main Street, looking eastward
toward the Square, passes the Ante-Bellum Greek Revival home of Robert
L. Caruthers, a founder of Cumberland University and Confederate
Governor of Tennessee.
Mule Day Sales The Square was the location of the Mule Day Sales
each first Monday of the month. The view in 1896 shows the steeples of
the Methodist and Baptist Churches on East Main Street in the distance.